Original Viennese Coffee House Culture
Taking a break has never been such a pleasure
Great coffees, delicious pastries and cakes and first class service are what make up the Viennese Coffee House Culture. Coffee houses are a Viennese institution.
Whether you're alone or with companions, the Viennese coffee house is a first-rate social and cultural meeting point. Everything you want know about Viennese coffee house culture and the Naschmarkt has been clearly arranged for you by the Hotel Capri Team.
Vienna coffee house culture
A good Vienna coffee house distinguishes itself through excellent service and delicious cakes. Moreover, you can expect a fine selection of small dishes in an original Vienna Coffee House. The 'Herr Ober', as a Vienna waiter is known, will gladly take your drink and food order.
The Vienna Coffee House ABC
In order to feel right at home with the coffee selections in the Vienna Coffee House, the Hotel Capri Team has put together a Vienna Coffee House encyclopedia for you.
- Brauner: This large or small 'brown one' is espresso with milk, the darkest of the Viennese milk coffees.
- Einspänner: Black coffee topped with whipped cream in a glass.
- Doppelspänner: Twice as strong as an Einspänner, 2 glasses of water should be taken with it.
- Doppelter: Strong double espresso with 14 instead of 7 grams of ground coffee per cup.
- Fiaker: Sweetened espresso in a glass.
- Goldener or Schale Gold: Vienna milk coffee, light gold, also espresso with milk.
- Kaffee verkehrt: More milch than coffee.
- Kaisermelange: A beaten egg yolk with sugar and Cognac in black coffee, some milk.
- Kapuziner: Black or milk coffee with light whipping cream, some cacao or cinnamon on top.
- Konsul: Black coffee with a somewhat more liquid whipping cream.
- Vienna Melange: Milk and coffee in approximately equally parts sweetened with sugar or honey. Often served with foamed milk, Italian cappuccino style.
- Schwarzer: Coffee without milk.
- Verlängerter: A Schwarzer, Brauner or Espresso, 'extended' with extra hot water.
Savour your vacation in Vienna
The Vienna Coffee House Culture is an integral part of an enjoyable holiday in Vienna. We at the Hotel Capri are happy to be your hosts during your stay in Austria. Let us know what we can do for you when making your online booking. See you soon at the Hotel Capri in Vienna!